Saturday, March 12, 2011

Forgiveness. 2.17.11

This morning I was reading Matthew 18: 21-35

Forgiveness. Sometimes I am just so slow. How many times have I heard/read the parable of the unforgiving debtor...I just feel like I got it this morning. Its not about money, or even general forgiveness. Its about forgiving others because we're forgiven by God. If we believe that Jesus is our forgiver and leader, then we are the servant in the story. We have been forgiven of this incredible debt (our sin) that would be impossible to pay back ourselves. We are commanded to forgive others (vs. 21-22). Jesus is speaking to believers here, not unbelievers. This parable describes what happens to us if we don't forgive others. There is a reason this is a commandment, not a suggestion. The fact that this is a commandment could be a very heavy burden to carry. However, I also am reminded that Jesus said His burden is light. So I also need to remember that His Spirit lives in me and changes my heart. So, this is not a burdensome commandment, but an easy commandment, if I'm allowing Him to lead this area of my life. Great stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment